Movies are a popular amenity in senior living and health care communities across the country. If your community is one of the many that shows movies in communal areas like an activity room, or on a dedicated closed circuit television channel, LifeSpan Network reminds you that these types of exhibitions require a public performance license to comply with the US Copyright Act.
LifeSpan Network, and all other leading industry associations have secured member savings on the Umbrella License®, the annual public performance license offered by Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC). The Umbrella License is the most comprehensive copyright license available for senior living and health care communities and provides annual copyright coverage for over 1,000 motion picture studios and producers. The license includes public performance rights for both major Hollywood studios and independent producers. Once licensed, an unlimited number of movies may be shown. Movies can be secured from any legal source whether rented, purchased, or borrowed via DVD, stream, or download.
If your community currently shows movies or would like to start, please be sure to secure a license to avoid copyright infringement penalties.
In December 2016, LifeSpan Network became party to the 2016 Senior Living Agreement, which established guidelines for the licensing of motion picture exhibitions in all senior living and health care communities regardless of the level of care provided or the license status of the community. The Agreement states that:
- All communities, regardless of their type or license status, must obtain licensure for exhibitions of Videos transmitted over a closed circuit television system or in-house channel.
- All communities, regardless of their type or license status, must obtain licensure for exhibitions of Videos in common areas such as a theater, lounge, or community room. This includes:
- Affordable housing facilities and units.
- Assisted living, nursing and rehabilitation facilities and units.
- Independent living facilities and units.
- Adult day services centers.
- Assisted living, nursing and rehabilitation units receive a reduced rate on the license. Minimum fees are waived for campuses that are strictly nursing, assisted living, or rehabilitation.
- Affordable housing units receive a reduced rate on the license.
- Members of LifeSpan Network receive a 10% discount on standard Umbrella License fees.
Please contact MPLC directly at (800) 462-8855 or online at seniorliving.mplc.org for assistance with pricing or to ask any questions about the Umbrella License.
If your senior living community operates assisted living, nursing or rehabilitation units, and held an Umbrella License prior to October 2016, if you have not done so already LifeSpan Network strongly encourages you to provide MPLC with updated unit counts for the aforementioned units prior to your renewal date. Longstanding licensees are eligible for reduced pricing for any assisted living, nursing, or rehabilitation units/rooms added during this renewal year only. Thereafter, the license requirement remains, but units will be priced at a higher fee.
Please feel free to contact LifeSpan Network at (410) 381-1176 with any questions about motion picture licensing requirements within our industry.