GRASSROOTS ACTION ALERT
For a 3% Increase in Medicaid Reimbursement
During the 2018 Session, the General Assembly set aside an additional $17.2 million in the fiscal year 2019 budget to increase Medicaid reimbursement rates for nursing homes and home-and-community based waiver programs by 3%. Nursing homes and home-and-community-based waiver programs are currently underfunded, meaning that they need that 3% reimbursement in order to get closer to covering the costs for providing care to our state’s seniors and physically disabled.
The Governor’s proposed budget provided a 1% increase, which is appreciated, although 3% is greatly needed. In order for the 3% to take effect, however, Governor Hogan MUST approve the additional increase and then allocate the funds.
We need to mobilize our grassroots efforts by urging Governor Hogan to fund the rate increase for nursing homes, medical adult day centers, and assisted living providers at 3%. Please engage your staff, resident/clients, and families to support the increase.
HERE'S HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Call: 1-800-811-8336/410-974-3901 or send the governor an Email.
- Complete the form as follows:
- Under Correspondence Topic, Select Health Care
- Under Subject Type, select “Support 3% Increase for Nursing Homes and Home-and-Community Based Providers.”
- Message for email or via phone: State your name, title/role, and location of your organization and add a few sentences regarding current funding hardships. The main message should be similar to the following:
- “Please support the 3% increase for nursing homes and home and community based service providers requested by the General Assembly. Maryland's elderly and physically disabled need your support, and providers need to be properly reimbursed for the care provided.”
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact LifeSpan's legislative advocate Danna Kauffman.