The Beacon Institute's CNA/GNA training program is a six week program which provides both online and in-person instruction. Learners have the ability to complete the classroom portion online and at their convenience (while meeting learning milestones) while experiencing lab and clinical portions in person in locations in Columbia, Maryland. Upon sucessful completion,graduates will be certified as a nurse assistant, with the knowledge and skills necessary to take the Maryland exam to become a geriatric nurse assistant.
Class Start Dates (2022)
Class Start Date
Class End Date
August 29, 2022
October 7, 2022
October 10, 2022
November 18, 2022
November 7, 2022
December 16, 2022
Requirements for Admission
Eligibility to participate in The Beacon Institute, Inc.’s CNA/GNA Training Program requires the following:
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Valid ID (driver’s license or state issued ID; passport; resident alien card)
- Social Security number (required by the Maryland Board of Nursing for certification (see https://mbon.maryland.gov/Documents/socialsecurityinfo.pdf)
- Proof of high school diploma, high school equivalency (HSE) or passing grade on a basic reading and comprehension test at the 8th grade level (The Beacon Institute, Inc. will administer the Degrees of Reading and Power test; contact the Program Director to schedule)
- Satisfactory criminal background check (criminal convictions may affect a student’s ability to be licensed, certified or registered). Background investigations may be done through The Beacon Institute, Inc., for an additional fee of $40. Contact Program Director to schedule.
- $100 registration fee
- Health criteria:
- Proof of physical exam
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Proof of current influenza vaccination
- Proof of Hepatitis B vaccine (or proof of antibodies)
- Proof of Negative TB (tuberculosis) test or chest X-ray within 3 months of start date
- Ability to lift 40 pounds or more from a standing position
Student Tuition and Costs
- Tuition for the Beacon Institute Inc.’s CNA/GNA Training Program is $1,000.
- There is a $100 registration fee.
- Total cost to the student, payable to The Beacon Institute, Inc., is $1,100.
Additional costs that the student may incur that are not included in tuition or registration costs include the following:
- Background investigation (may be done through the Beacon Institute for an additional, non-refundable fee of $40
- Uniform (medical scrubs)
- White shoes – may be athletic, must be closed toe and no heels
- Watch with a second hand
- CNA initial certification application fee of $20 payable to MBON
- Computer or tablet
- Internet, transportation, and/or testing required prior to admission
Have questions about The Beacon Institute's CNA/GNA training program?
Contact us via email or call 410-381-1176, ext. 240