Are you a self-starter? Interested in healthcare but don't have a schedule that allows you to be in class during the day? Are you motivated and able to manage your time to get things done? The Beacon Institute's CNA/GNA training program is a six week program which provides both online and in-person instruction. Learners have the ability to complete the classroom portion on-demand online at their convenience (while meeting learning milestones), with lab and clinical portions in person in Columbia, Maryland. Upon sucessful completion,graduates will be certified as a nurse assistant, with the knowledge and skills necessary to take the Maryland exam to become a geriatric nurse assistant.
Class Start Dates (2023)
Class Start Date
Class End Date
January 30, 2023
March 10, 2023
Application deadline January 16, 2023
February 20, 2023
March 31, 2023
|Application deadline February 6, 2023|
|March 20, 2023||April 28, 2023|
|Application deadline March 6, 2023|
|April 17, 2023||May 26, 2023|
|Application deadline April 3, 2023|
Requirements for Admission
Eligibility to participate in The Beacon Institute, Inc.’s CNA/GNA Training Program requires the following:
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Valid ID (driver’s license or state issued ID; passport; resident alien card)
- Social Security number (required by the Maryland Board of Nursing for certification (see https://mbon.maryland.gov/Documents/socialsecurityinfo.pdf)
- Minimum of high school diploma or high school equivalency (HSE) certificate from an English-based curriculum, or achieving an 8th grade level on an accepted English reading and comprehension test. (The Beacon Institute, Inc. can administer the Degrees of Reading and Power test; contact the Program Director to schedule)
- Criminal background check (criminal convictions may affect a student’s ability to be licensed, certified or registered). For more information on background checks, plese see these FAQs.
- $100 registration fee
- Health criteria:
- Proof of physical exam
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Proof of current influenza vaccination
- Proof of Hepatitis B vaccine (or proof of antibodies)
- Proof of Negative TB (tuberculosis) test or chest X-ray within 3 months of start date
- Ability to lift 40 pounds or more from a standing position
Student Tuition and Costs
- Tuition for the Beacon Institute Inc.’s CNA/GNA Training Program is $1,000.
- There is a $100 registration fee.
- Total cost to the student, payable to The Beacon Institute, Inc., is $1,100.
Additional costs that the student may incur that are not included in tuition or registration costs (these are not fees charged by The Beacon Institute):
- Criminal background check. For more information on background checks, plese see these FAQs.
- Uniform (medical scrubs)
- White shoes – may be athletic, must be closed toe and no heels
- Watch with a second hand
- CNA initial certification application fee of $20 payable to MBON
- Computer or tablet
- Internet, transportation, and/or testing required prior to admission
- CPR certification
- GNA exam fee ($130)
Have questions about The Beacon Institute's CNA/GNA training program?
Contact us via email or call 410-381-1176, ext. 240